I am really enjoying my exploration into crafting with yarn in different ways. Since last week I showed you a few ways to craft with yarn without existing skills, this week I thought I would go further in depth about how to make a fabulous yarn tassel.
In this free, photo tutorial, you will learn how to easily make a tassel out of yarn and you’ll see one way to use it!
Diagram of a Tassel
I drew this diagram of a tassel to help you understand the written tutorial. I based it on information from the Tassel page on Wikipedia.
As you can see, the long cord the tassel hangs from is called the suspension cord. The head of the tassel is the top part. The part that is tied around the middle is called the neck, and the fringed part is called the skirt.
You don’t need a lot of special materials to make a fabulous yarn tassel, just these: a length of yarn (I used Viva Glitz by FEZA from Sheep Thrills), scissors, a length of cardboard cut to about 7″ (or longer or shorter, depending upon the size of your tassel).
1. Begin by holding the end of the yarn firmly at the bottom of the cardboard piece. Wrap the yarn around the length of the cardboard approximately 7 times.
2. Cut the yarn end about flush to the end of the cardboard.
3. Remove the 7 yarn loops from the cardboard.
4. Cut a new length of yarn about 12 inches long. This will form the suspension cord. Place the 7 yarn loops over the middle of the suspension cord.
5. Tie the suspension cord with a simple overhand knot, then bend the 7 yarn loops over so their ends will meet more or less evenly.
6. Cut a new length of yarn about 8 inches long. This will comprise the neck of the tassel. Tie this as shown in the above photo, a bit below the suspension cord in order to form the head and neck of the tassel. Secure this knot. One or both of the tails of this yarn could become tassel fringe. If not, cut the yarn ends short. Option: secure the knot on the neck with super glue or clear nail polish if needed depending upon the type of yarn.
6. With scissors, cut the bottom loops of your tassel so the tassel fringe (skirt) can hang free.
7. You can adjust the size of the tassel head by moving the tassel neck up or down.
8. Make your tassel look neat by trimming the fringes of the skirt evenly.
Attach Your Tassel to a Pen
- Lay the suspension cord down next to the pen, with the tassel head falling about where you’d like it to elegantly hang.
- Cover your pen with washi tape along the length of the suspension cord on both sides.
- Then secure the top and bottom of the pen with washi tape going horizontally.
- If desired, use a different color of washi tape (here silver) to adorn your pen.
As always, thanks for reading the blog! If you liked learning about how to make a tassel, please share this post with a friend through social media, or better yet, give a good friend a call and meet to DIY together! We’d love to see you in the store, so remember we can be found at 4725 N. University Drive in Lauderhill, FL 33351. Feel free to give us a call at (855) YARNS-4-U or check out our website at sheepthrillsfl.com.